Sugars Mascot Costumes began its long history as Sugars Costumes Studio and was founded in 1980 by Peter deVita as an all-Canadian, Toronto-based & family run company. In the beginning, our primary interest was the rental and sale of costumes, but we quickly recognized the need for mascots. Five years later Pam Chappell joined our team and we began running a full-time character mascot department which continued to grow through word-of-mouth from satisfied and delighted clients.
Through the 80’s we continued to develop the mascot business to become a leader in the industry. Our goal has always been to develop new methods of building better mascots, with the highest possible quality. In the early ‘90s, we put up our first website and soon found that this new marketing tool had expanded our market so much that we needed more space! Towards the end of the decade we had outgrown our Mt. Pleasant location and moved into a large loft facility in the heart of downtown Toronto.
As part of our succession planning in December 1999 Peter brought in his daughter, Jennifer deVita as 50% co-owner. They then separated the mascot department into its own company and called it Sugar’s Mascot Costumes.ca Inc. Recognizing a greater need for the Management & Maintenance of our clients mascots, we expanded our Cleaning, Maintenance & Storage facilities. Shortly after this, we established the trademark name that we currently use today ‘Sugars Mascot Costumes’.
In 2007 we realized the need for more modern facilities that were specifically designed and developed for building mascots. After much searching, we found our new home and fully renovated what was formerly the old Eaton Family stables dating back to the early 1900’s. It seemed rather fitting that this was the starting point for the very first Santa Claus Parade in Toronto. This convenient, central location now provides us with 'state of the art' facilities for the production and maintenance of any kind and any quantity of mascot.
On March 31, 2011 Peter officially retired from the mascot business and Jennifer took the position of full owner and CEO. Today her vision continues with a focus on a successful business making excellent mascots.
Over our 28-year history making mascots, we have produced characters for Corporations, Sports Teams, Educational Institutions, and Governmental Departments all over the world. Sugars Mascot clients range from across North America to as far as Japan, Dubai, and Australia. To this day, our best advertising is our vast portfolio and client references! As an international producer, we have found that the development of our production process has made long-distance business a breeze – we keep our clients informed every step of the way with digital images, and there is no need for onsite visits (however, visits are more than welcome!).
As a small business, input from our long-term production staff is crucial. Most of our employees have worked with us for many years, with an average experience of nearly 15 years – such a dedicated team ensures our long-term success. We are proud to have retained some of the best in the industry for over 20 years. When we decided in 2005 to sponsor 10 young children through Foster Parents Plan our staff have been enthusiastic in their support by writing letters and maintaining contact. We are proud to have seen these children develop & grow. This is an ongoing long-term project that we continue to this day, along with many other community programs and donations.
We continue to hand craft every mascot character in our studio space, to client specifications. With every labour of love, we continue to grow and adapt our methods to the ever-changing needs of our clients. We are innovative, and on the cutting-edge of new developments in the mascot industry – nearly always leading the way! As a result, we have earned our international reputation for producing quality, creative, and user-friendly characters.
~Being known as the benchmark in mascot creation, with quality excellence and imagination~ If money, time or location weren't an issue, all customers, employees and service providers would aspire to work with Sugar's Mascot Costumes - just to say they did it! Mascots with Heart... we mean it.
- We are accountable to and responsible for people, projects, systems, finance and ourselves. In short, we are producers of our own situations.
- We are able to see the big picture. We plan and have faith in our future.
- We conduct our business in an ethical manner, demonstrating integrity and authenticity.
- We value passion, performance, achievement, competency, and enthusiasm.
- We focus on the needs of our customers, providing a high quality product and service excellence.
- We care about the choices of our clients and will always help educate them... even if it hurts.
- We encourage self-management, initiative and thinking outside of the box.
- We are progressive, ambitious and risk-taking.
- We value creativity based on life experience and the creativity of fresh thinking.
- We value growth and learning; education and experience; we support the passing of knowledge onto others.
- We value the pursuit of perfection in everything we do.
- We provide a sensitive and caring work environment. We are compassionate and considerate, respectful, accepting and trusting.
- We support the community and good causes worldwide; we encourage others to do the same.